Snack trays are a fabulous thing to have while watching movies during lockdown. It’s just like being at your very own movie theatre. Combine that with this fun DIY craft project and you have a full afternoon of activities!
This is a fun and creative way to reuse and repurpose empty cereal and other boxes you may have around the house or in your paper recycling bin.
· A cereal box (any recycled cardboard box will do)
· Coloured card or paper
· Glue or sticky tape
· Paint and/or felt pens
· Decorative collage material
· Start with an empty cereal box and cut a piece out of the larger sides. Leave a bit of a lip for better support.
· Using the piece that you cut out you can create sections for different snacks.
· Now you’re ready to decorate! You can make the box be whatever your imagination can come up with. I went with an aeroplane as an example, but you can create whatever you wish. From animals to vehicle themes, underwater to garden/bug themes, superhero to fairy themes, and everything in between, the possibilities are endless!
· Once the box is covered and your creation has taken shape it’s time to decorate!
· You can add any recycled or craft material to brighten up your snack box (much more exciting than the ones at the movie theatre don’t you think?!)
· Once all the trays are made it’s time to fill them with a variety of healthy snacks such as popcorn, crackers, vegetable sticks, dried fruits.
We hope you have a time fun creating your very own movie snack tray tamariki ma! We would love to see some photos of you using your very own DIY snack tray at home with your family. Please send your pics to OSCAR@pukete.org.nz
“A child’s mind is not a container to be filled but rather a fire to be kindled.” - Dorothea Brande